Saturday 3 March 2018

A Tale of 2 Admirals - Whyarecarrots' Month 4

Month 4 - COMPLETED


Read on for more about this month's painting.


A brief recap

For those who have not seen the introduction thread (which can be found here),  the goal of this Tale is for me and Firestorm Falcon to clear our backlogs of unpainted Dystopian Wars miniatures. I have pledged to paint 400 points a month for the next 6 months (with 1 "joker" month allowed if I miss my target) to clear that backlog. The tale started at the beginning of November, which means that we are now at the end of month 4.


The month 3 pledge


For my third month I pledged to paint:

  • 1 Gustav Class Monitor - 155 points
  • 2 Fafnir Class Light Sky Fortresses - 200 points
  • 8 Prussian SAS tokens (plus 6 SAS flight trays) - 40 points)
The month started quickly as the Gustav was painted within the first 3 days. Other projects sidelined me a bit, resulting in the two Fafnirs being finished in one evening on the last day of the month! Nevertheless, I am happy with how this month has turned out - the end of the DW backlog is finally in sight, and I nearly have 3 completely painted fleets!

Onto the photos:

The Gustav has come out more colourful than other ships in the fleet - the extra red on the gun carriage really draws the eye.
I've not used it in game yet, but am looking forward to giving it a try!
The details of the train tracks inside is a really cool touch.
The last of the SAS tokens needed for my Prussian fleet.
The squadrons alongside their parent carriers (painted some months previously).
I have also repainted all of the SAS trays to match my new Prussian scheme.
The Fafnirs bring even more air support to the Danish fleet.
I considered multiple paint schemes for the Danish airships, but decided to go for the same grey as the surface ships in the end.
They lack the camo of the surface ships, but I think the flight deck is enough to add colour to the vessel.
I really like the detail of the strike craft leaving the hangars inside the belly of the airship.
With their strike craft squadrons, painted last month.
A group shot of this month.


The pledge for month 5

If I complete next month, I will have hit my 2,000 point painting target. It won't quite be all of my Dystopian Wars painting done - I have 2 mercenary carriers, some terrain, and a gaming board that all need painting - but I will have completed my goal without using a "joker". 

For March I am aiming to paint the following:
  • 1 Konigsberg Class Battlecruiser - 110 points
  • 4 Magni Class Assault Skyships - 120 points
  • 4 Lahn Class Destroyers - 160 points
Total: 390 points.

Owing to a lack of forward planning, I have ended up with lots of small models to paint, which will be a bit of a challenge.

I realise that the promised battle report still hasn't turned up - I will get around to it soon! There will also be more updates for Dropfleet Commander, as well as a resurgence of Zombicide.

Thanks for looking!

1 comment:

  1. Great work on those. Love the Gustav especially.

    ReplyDelete