Wednesday 21 February 2018

Dropfleet Commander - First ships for the PHR

Test models completed!


More after the jump!

In the last update I posted I went through my approach to magnetising the PHR starter box. Today I'm looking at the two models (and assorted components) that I've painted up to act as test models.

Because of the designs of the PHR ships, I felt they would suit geometric patterns. A simple bold chevron on the main hull seemed good, along with an otherwise relatively simple scheme. I also decided to paint the weapons/fins/interior of the ship in light colours to contrast with the dark colours of the hull. Turquoise was a colour I hadn't used in a while, so I decided to give that a try as the main accent colour.

Overall, I'm relatively happy with the effect. However I honestly haven't enjoyed painting these two that much - there was a lot of drybrushing involved (which I don't find very satisfying) and the large expanse of smooth hull is proving tricky for me to get a hang of painting. Anyway, I shall persevere with the rest of the starter box, and we'll see how that goes.

A Europa class frigate was the first ship painted
I am very happy with how the "gems" on the fins have turned out
The two halves of the stripe are supposed to be misaligned - the effect is more pronounced on the cruiser


One Ajax class cruiser
The chevrons need a bit of practice...
Compared to the minimalist hull, the rear of the ship is very busy

The same hull assembled as a Theseus class light cruiser...
... and as an Orion class cruiser

The "fleet" so far

While I will be proceeding with this fleet, I have recently ordered the 2 player starter box, with the goal of also starting a UCM fleet. I am also a big fan of the UCM's style, and hopefully I will find the slightly busier style of the models a bit more enjoyable to paint. Next up however, is likely to be a return to Dystopian Wars.

Comments and criticisms very much appreciated. Thanks for looking!

4 comments:

  1. Great painting! Loving your blog. Have you had a chance to listen to our podcast Scanners Offline?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Have just given the first couple of episodes a listen - will definitely carry on with the rest!

      Delete
    2. No worries! What do you think of it? Any feedback? If you like it, it'd be great if you could drop a link somewhere on your blog in case your other readers are interested?

      Delete