Monday 10 September 2018

Infinity - The Japanese Secessionist Army

And now for something completely (slightly?) different!

Doing something different with the photos!
More after the jump!

So who are the Japanese Secessionist Army (JSA)?

In the world of Infinity the "traditional" pre-eminent nations of much sci-fi don't really apply. One of the major hyperpowers is Yu-Jing, a pan-Asian power built around a re-built imperial system and some elements of traditional Confucianism. Within that nation, the Japanese used to exist as second-class citizens - allowed some element of cultural independence, but treated as cannon fodder by the Yu-Jing military. However recent events have centred on an uprising by the Japanese forces, leading to the creation of an independent Japanese state. More importantly from my point of view, is that it has resulted in new shiny JSA models in a really cool aesthetic!

Colour scheme choices

It took me a while to decide on this scheme. I originally wanted to do something slightly inspired by a more feudal Japan approach, as represented with huge historical inaccuracy by Shogun 2 Total War! I spent a while researching the actual colour schemes of various clans, only to realise that there was no such thing as a uniform for any clan - apparently the mon of the clan would be represented on a banner with a colour that was more personal to the individual lord. After realising this I just decided to say sod it to historical accuracy and be inspired by the Uesugi Clan scheme from Shogun 2 (LINK).

My first attempt wasn't quite right for this - it came out more white and purple than intended. I darkened the grey a bit, but I still wasn't sure about the purple:

Test model 1
While I changed the scheme a bit, I decided not to repaint it as it was close enough and I still liked it.
Test model 2 was painted with more of a dark red/burgundy approach to the cloth, and turned the gun into more of a khaki rather than green. This one was the winner (after MUCH deliberation).

Test model 2
I REALLY enjoy painting the cloth on these models
Faces are still a... challenge
And then I just painted another one the same!
Bases are Micro-Art Studio Precinct Sigma base toppers
They're made of MDF and just sit on top of the standard Infinity bases
I'm still unsure about the green on the Kempetai's cloak - it may change to grey at some point
This was also one of the first models where I used Turquoise as a splash colour...
I went back and added it to the Keisotsu afterwards
And finally the Kaizoku Spec-Ops
The leg is a good example of my painting being a bit sloppy up close but looking decent from afar
The force so far

I have really enjoyed painting this force so far and have the rest of the starter box, plus a ninja, plus a box of the old Haramaki Zensenbutai to paint, so expect to see more of the army in the near future.

In the meantime, thanks as always for looking!


1 comment: