Sunday 25 November 2018

A Song of Ice and Fire - The project begins!

The Battle of the Trident



More after the jump!


So what is all this?

I (like many people) am a very big fan of George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series of books. This was limited to just enjoying his stories, until a couple of years ago when I stumbled on a series of project logs over on the Lead Adventures forum* where people had used the various excellent plastic medieval kits available to create armies based around the books. Unlike the very stylised forces presented by the Game of Thrones TV shows, many of these had a much more pseudo-historical style, which I particularly enjoyed as it fit nicely with the "post-fantasy" world that I imagine the books taking place in.

*I can highly recommend this log full of wonderful things made by the inimitable Captain Blood.

I started this project a couple of years ago with a large selection of Perry Miniatures and Fireforge plastic infantry, to build a series of forces based around the Battle of the Trident - the conclusive battle in Robert's Rebellion, some 20 years before the start of the books - as this would give me a bit of leeway as there is much less written about the period. After making over 100 of these things (the kit-bashing was a lot of fun!) the project stalled, and was only restarted a couple of months ago. Since then, I have made a good amount of progress on the assembled models, with a view to getting the assembled ones finished, so I can then build some more!

Anyway, without further ado, onto the models:


Tyrells - as one of the richest houses they will generally have the fanciest armour.
Baratheons - by contrast I see them being one of the poorer houses, and as such will have relatively antiquated armour.
Starks - padded gambesons, bears, axes and fur galore!
Tullys - probably the least well defined of the houses so far, but I think they have a "look".
Misc other houses - Karstark, Dondarrion and Targaryen.
Rebel forces.
Royalist forces (heavily outnumbered for now).

More Royalists will be coming up next I think.


Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment