Monday 31 December 2018

2018 - Hobby Year in Review

It's not been a bad year!



A year of progress

While 2018 has been a mixed year for a number of reasons, I feel like it has been a great one for me from a hobbying perspective. Not only have I found a group to play with (and have lost a great number of Infinity games as a result!) but I also feel I have made great steps forward with the quality of my painting, and also the amount that I have managed to paint. My old problem of bouncing between different projects has persisted (the lure of new shinies is too great) but I have very significantly reduced the pile of unpainted models that has been building up over the last few years.

Dystopian Wars - More Posts Here

The first order of business in 2018 was to finish off my contributions for the Tale of 2 Admirals, which was the final bit of my Dystopian Wars backlog. With the death last year of Spartan Games I resolved to get the models painted, even if the opportunity of actually getting a game has reduced significantly. What Warcradle is doing with the game looks promising however, so it's entirely possible that I will see more Dystopian Wars being painted (and played?!) in the future!



Dropfleet Commander - More Posts Here

Speaking of being distracted by shinies, when I felt like I was making good progress with finishing the Dystopian Wars backlog, I of course started something new... Initially I magnetised an entire PHR starter set, and while I was happy with the eventual result of the painting, I didn't particularly enjoy painting them...


... so I started a UCM fleet as well. I made a good amount of progress and was very happy with the result, but ended up taking a bit of a break as Infinity took over as my main game for much of the year. I will definitely get back to painting this fleet in 2019.


Zombicide - More Posts Here

Although I don't own a copy of the Zombicide board-game, I have played the Black Plague game with a good friend on several occasions, and have, as a result, decided to paint a few heroes from the game's expansions myself. 

There are still a few more heroes I haven't painted, but more significantly I have my own copy of the new Zombicide (space version) from their recent Kickstarter arriving in May, so there will be a LOT of board-game painting later in 2019.


Infinity - More Posts Here

A large part of my hobby time this year has been spent on painting models for Corvus Belli's sci-fi skirmish game Infinity, largely because I have found a very active group close to me. My results in the escalation league that we're playing haven't been great - I have only drawn 2 games and lost the rest - but the matches have been close and good fun.

My main army is the Imperial Service:


And I am currently also working on the Japanese Secessionist Army:


I have even done some painting on an old PanOceanian army (which will likely be sold at some point):


Expect a lot more Infinity painting on this blog in the future.

A Song of Ice and Fire - More Posts Here

This has been a long time coming. The models in this army were all assembled a couple of years ago in a significant rush, and then the project stalled so badly that nothing happened since then. I am very happy with how many of these I have got painted to a reasonable tabletop standard at quite high speed, and I have nearly finished painting the first hundred or so that I already have assembled.

With the forthcoming release of Perry Miniatures' Hundred Years War cavalry I will definitely be adding more troops (including cavalry) in the coming year.

Royalists
Rebels

Looking to the future

The forthcoming arrival of Zombicide is quite a significant point to look out for in the coming year, as that is a huge project that will take up a lot of time and energy. That gives me several months at the start of the year to work on a variety of other projects - I'm leaving it up to how I feel as to what I end up working on.

The first update of the year will definitely be more ASoIaF. Until then, a happy new year to all!

Thanks for looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment